Personal Data Notice
This Personal Data Notice (“Notice”) sets out how Harold & Lam Partnership (“HLP”) (a partnership incorporated under the laws of Malaysia with its place of business at Suite 32-5, 32nd Floor, Oval Tower Damansara, No.685, Jalan Damansara, 60000 Kuala Lumpur) uses your Personal Data.
By engaging HLP to provide services or by interacting with HLP or by entering into any dealing or transaction with HLP or otherwise, or by using the HLP website http://www.hlplawyers.com (“Website”), you consent to the processing of your Personal Data by HLP and all persons involved in the provision of services by HLP.
In the event of any conflict between the English and other language versions, the English version shall prevail. HLP shall have the right to modify, update or amend the terms of this Notice at any time by placing the updated Notice on the Website. By continuing to communicate with HLP or by continuing to use HLP’s services following the modifications, updates or amendments to this Notice, this shall signify your acceptance of such modifications, updates or amendments.
Collection of Personal Data
- “Personal Data” refers to any information in respect of commercial transactions which:
- is being processed wholly or partly by means of equipment operating automatically in response to instructions given for that purpose;
- is recorded with the intention that it should wholly or partly be processed by means of such equipment; or
- is recorded as part of a relevant filing system or with the intention that it should form part of a relevant filing system,
- that relates directly or indirectly to an individual, who is identified or identifiable from that information alone or with other information including any sensitive personal data and expression of opinion about the individual (“Personal Data”).
- “Personal Data” means information about you which you have provided to HLP during the course of any dealing or transaction with you, which includes but is not limited to personal particulars including your name, race, religion, date of birth, age, gender, address, telephone number, NRIC, email address, contact details, your personal preferences, educational and professional backgrounds, particulars of your spouse or family members and bank account information and any information which may identify you, your spouse or family members that has been or may be collected, stored, used and processed by HLP from time to time.
- In addition to the Personal Data you provide to HLP directly (i.e. during your communications with HLP and/or when you engage HLP to provide services),
HLP may also collect your Personal Data from a variety of sources, including without limitation at any events, conferences, seminars or talks organised or sponsored by HLP and/or from the cookies used on the Website.
- The provision of your Personal Data is voluntary. However, if you do not provide your Personal Data, HLP may not be able to (i) communicate with you; (ii) provide you the services you require; or (ii) access certain sections of the Website where log in is required.
Purposes of Personal Data Processing
- HLP may use and process your Personal Data for the purposes relating to the services you have requested and for the business activities of HLP:
- to communicate with you;
- to respond to questions and comments from you;
- for internal administrative purposes;
- to provide information to regulatory and governmental authorities in order to comply with statutory and government requirements, including disclosure to the Unclaimed Money Management Division of the Accountant General’s Department of Malaysia (“AGD”) of your information as required pursuant to the Unclaimed Moneys Act 1965 and its attendant regulations in the event of any unclaimed monies on your part;
- for HLP to comply with its obligations under law, including compliance with laws relating to evidence,
- and you agree and consent to HLP using and processing your Personal Data in the manner as identified in this Notice.
- HLP may also use and process your data for other purposes such as:
- to send you materials such as newsletters, articles, write-ups as well as other updates;
- to distribute information or details of events, seminars, conferences and talks which may of interest to you;
- to send as potential referees to (i) editors/researchers in ranking legal publications and journals; (ii) potential clients who request for referees of past work in requests for proposals, tenders, submissions, by way of email or mail.
- If you do not consent to HLP processing your Personal Data for the purposes listed in Item 7, please notify HLP using the contact details stated in Item 13 below.
- The provision of personal data to HLP is necessary and failure to provide personal data may affect HLP’s ability to fulfil the purposes as stated hereinabove.
Transfer of Personal Data
- As HLP’s information technology storage facilities and servers may be located in other jurisdictions, your Personal Data may be transferred to, stored, used and processed in a jurisdiction other than Malaysia. Further, your personal data may be transferred out of Malaysia for the purposes as described in Item 7(c) where such ranking legal publications and journals and/or potential clients are located outside of Malaysia. You understand and consent to the transfer of your Personal Data out of Malaysia as described herein.
Disclosure to Third Parties
- HLP may engage other companies, service providers or individuals to perform functions on HLP’s behalf, and consequently may provide access or disclose to your Personal Data to the third parties such as those listed below (not exhaustive):
- information technology (IT) service providers;
- data entry service providers;
- storage facility providers;
- banks and financial institutions;
- insurance providers;
- any professional advisors and external auditors; and
- regulatory and governmental authorities in order to comply with statutory and government requirements, including to the AGD for the purposes as described in Item 6 above.
- HLP shall endeavour to keep all personal data confidential and endeavours to implement the appropriate administrative and security safeguards and procedures in accordance with the applicable laws and regulations to prevent the unauthorized or unlawful processing of personal data and accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data.
Access & Correction Requests and Inquiries
- Subject to any exceptions under applicable laws, you may at any time hereafter request:
- for access to your Personal Data;
- for correction or rectification of your Personal Data;
- to limit the processing of your Personal Data; or
- to seek further information from HLP regarding the processing of your Personal Data by contacting:
- In respect of your right to access and/or correct your Personal Data, HLP has the right to refuse your requests to access and/or make any correction to your Personal Data for the reasons permitted under law, such as where the expense of providing access to you is disproportionate to the risks to your privacy.